How-To Extinguish an Electrical Fire
You wake up in the morning and like every other day, toast a bagel in your trusted toaster. However, this day is different. This day, the appliance stimulates an electrical fire. Don’t panic! There are safe methods to put electrical fires out.
If the fire quickly rose, you may not be able to turn off your electricity. If this is the situation, go outside and call 911. Tell the dispatcher that it is an electrical fire. Do not try to put out an electrical fire unless you have a path to safety.
Disconnect the Electricity
Disconnect the electricity in your home if you can reach the box safely. Once you turn off your home’s electricity, you will disconnect the source of the fire. Unplugging the appliance can be very dangerous once a fire has started. In most cases, disconnecting the electricity is the safer option.
The source of many electrical fires is an overloaded cord. Once the appliance is unplugged, toss baking soda over the flames. Baking soda holds a chemical compound sodium bicarbonate which is also a Class C fire extinguisher. Never use water to extinguish an electrical fire. Water conducts electricity. If you put water on an electrical fire, you are at risk of shock.
You may also choose to cover the fire with a fire blanket once the electricity is off. A fire blanket diminishes the oxygen which keeps the fire active.
Prevent Electrical Fires
Electrical fires can be catastrophic to your home. Before a fire occurs, take precautions to ensure that your electrical wiring is up-to-date. Use a code compliant electrician for any remodels or installations.
Electrical Norm is a code compliant residential electrician in Portland, Oregon. Contact the electricians in Portland for updates to your lighting, ceiling fans, smoke detectors, generators, surge protection, and more. Contact Electrical Norm today!